Sunday, August 23, 2009

Kathy... August 23, 2009 10:06 AM

What a beatiful horse - Cartucho was a gelding and a commoner by comparison. We went to Granada where they had a race track and bought him after dad got information from the locals that that was the place to go and buy a horse. We had a small stable in the back yard near the maid quarters where we kept him some of the time. One of the families in kilocho had a pasture where we put him to graze and get exercise. I used to ride him out to the Wilson farm frequently - they were quite a ways down the road past our house. There was a cattle guard at the entrance to their place and a gate off to the side. One day when I left their house I started riding down the hill and discovered I had not hooked up the chain on the bridle that went behind his chin (sure there is a technical name) to control him. He started down that hill at full speed and I thought he was going to jump over the cattle guard or try to jump the gate. To my surprise he swerved at the last minute and came to a dead stop right in front of the gate. I went flying over his head into the gate - which I believe contained some barbed wire. Not much was hurt, luckily, except my pride. Fortunately there was no one around to watch. I think I may have walked him home the rest of the way.
Your daughters' horse is beautiful, Elsa, she certainly outshines him!
KO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers