Friday, August 28, 2009

Kathy... August 27, 2009 8:35 PM

John has got to win the prize for the absolute best Dr. Bisbee story. How is the screenplay coming?

But Elsa's was the most dramatic and became a teaching moment for me the other day.
I had gone into the Air Force JROTC class and the Col. teaching the class was about to give a lesson using a flight simulator. He asked me if I would like to try it and all the kids thought that would be a great idea. So I sat down at the simulator and he proceeded to give me instructions and I manuevered the controls and took off, flew a short distance and landed the plane. It was not pretty, but he said I had some flying skills and with some work I might be a decent pilot. I told the students that it would benefit them to learn to fly and might someday save their lives. I then gave the account of Elsa's brother Alex and father escaping Nicaragua and the brief crash course that Alex had received over the phone on how to fly the plane and of his bravery to get himself and his father out of the country. The students were quite impressed and spellbound by the story and vowed that they would learn to fly in his honor.

Bruce said: it wasn't a crash course, it was an anti-crash course!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers