Sunday, August 23, 2009

Philip... August 23, 2009 9:10 AM

I have just read thru all the stories on the blog.
Man! of course, it all comes into focus now... it's the specs! And Kathy, of
course! KATHY! Somewhere I may still have the passport photo she gave me, but I
forgot your family name (deuh!), all I could remember was that you moved away to
Austin. I remember you were a basketball player, of course, at your height.
But it was your bowling that comes back, the way you curled it from right to
left into the middle of the rack (or am I dreaming?) (Bruce's note: you weren't
dreaming, I just couldn't do it consistently! Still can't!) My method was to hurl the
ball at the # 1 pin so the ball boys would jump back! Such a nice young man, I
was... It was in the alley that I very clumsily gave Kathy a ring I had bought
in San Salvador where I went to play cricket for the MCC. I threw it into the
sea when she gave it back to me..I really had no idea how to start, build or
maintain a relationship then... and in fact I didn't get married until I was 47!
Who was it that came to the movies with her hair in curlers and did her nails
during the movie?
Who watched me diving (never as good as Paul H) and described me as Tarzan
after the famine?! ...
I arrived at Las Mercedes after the Kennedy assassination, on my birthday (Dec
18), to find no one there to meet me, but the Brit Embassy sec was picking up
the dip. mailbag and recognized me, so I had no problem bringing in an air rifle
strapped to my guitar.. I do remember most of the ANS, army brats, BAT, Somozas
(Hope liked young English men...) et al. and Graham and Arturo Molieri and other
good Nica friends (Gabrielin, the physically squarest guy I ever met, would
confirm rumours about how young Nica men lost their virginity...), and will see
if I can find some of the old b+w snaps to scan. I have not yet transferred all
my 35mm colour slides to digital, but when I do... Whose T Bird put a rod thru
the block on the way down to San Juan del Sur on a fishing trip?
I spent most of 64 in Managua before going up to Montreal to McGIll in the
autumn, ..er, fall... I returned the following Christmas and summer, staying
with Paul in Miami.
A bottle of Flor de Canya (no tilde, sorry), a coke, and KAAY Little Rock
Arkansas, are fond memories. The Beach Boys were faves, we cut our jeans and
squeezed lemon juice in our hair to look like surfers and went body surfing
among the sharks in the rainy season.
I have fond memories of nearly all the names in your blogs, tho people like Mike
Green et al also left in 64? Mike Murray training for a West Point (?) physical,
I remember, but it was a different ANS crowd when I got back.
Who was the teacher at ANS who on the last day of school stood on a chair and
sang arias from popular operas? Was it Jon D who came back from the marines on
furlough and showed off how many push ups he could do to one of the sophomore
(?) classes... I used to pick certain people up from ANS and drive them home...
much more later... other memories, warts and all, welcome...
If you all think you can stay awake long enuf to read it, I will send you my
"brief" bio... I have much enjoyed yours.
En un cortijo de arales...
Abrazos, besos and carinyos a todos.
Philip

1 comment:

  1. Hi Philip,
    My name is Cathy Pfeiffer Moore. I was born in Managua in 1956, and moved to the US in 1974, right after the earthquake, but before the revolution. This whole blog turned up as a result of my searching for Arturo Molieri, whom you mentioned in this post. He was one of my first (much older!) boyfriends in Nicaragua! Do you have any idea of where/how he is?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Followers