Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Russell Shubert... August 17, 2009 11:23 PM

WOW !!! Bruce, I am so glad that you all have communicated and kept up somewhat with each others "happenings". yes, I was stunned to read of Neil's death....I am overjoyed to read through this memory lane of thoughts and places and people that I have thought of before wondering what ever happened to ......( lots of names can fill in here ) .. and Yes, I did marry Cecilia. We married in the Casa Vargas in Managua and moved to Brazil for a year and then back to Managua another year and then to Quatemala for a semester as the "substitute" for the pregnant principal lady there and then came to San Diego. I've been teaching and coaching ALL these 45 years. Here in the suburb of San Diego called Chula Vista I have worked and coached. I had teams in football, basketball, track, soccer both girls soccer and also boys soccer. In football I had 2 county championships and one of my players went pro with the Kansas City Chiefs, his name Danny Saleamua ( defensive lineman ) in the 23 years of football I had 12 league champs and 2 county champs. The varsity basketball coach liked me and invited me to coach basketball with him.. I had the JV team....my JV team won our JV league regularly and we would ofter score over a 100 points, and the Varsity coach later asked me to stop basketball because it made him look bad...so I did and started girls soccer for 17 years and boys soccer 13 of those same years and my boys soccer teams won our varsity leagues regularly and also the county champs twice again. While at Hllltop High my son and I coached together for 10 of those same years. My son is even a better coach than myself. My son loves soccer and played soccer himself since age 6. He currently coaches high school soccer and we put together a private soccer club for ages 9 to 19 both boys and girls. We had 400 kids in our club...and again we won regularly. I retired out of teaching in 1999, but kept coaching till 2007. I am now in my second career, running the library at the prison here in San Diego. It is really an easy job. My wife and I have 2 children ( one boy and one girl ) they have blessed us with 5 lovely grandchildren with whom I take to the Padre games, soccer games, and the many things that "Papa" (me) get to do as a grandparent. My wife is right now in Costa Rica for a vacation to see family and will return next month. Bruce....please keep me IN THE LOOP. I find these shortstories refreshing when I too can remember the good old days.
Love to all
Russell P Shubert .... your old coach, most of the kids around here just call me "Pops" and I think it is great. My wife and I go shopping almost anywhere and across the store someone will yell..."Hey Pops" and we then visit awhile.
C-ya

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers